Civilian Conservation Corps Ring (MO 1969.141)

Franklin Roosevelt was deeply troubled by high unemployment rates among America’s youth during the Great Depression. Shortly after taking office in 1933, he personally devised the idea for the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a program to put young men aged 17-24 —many from urban areas—to work on conservation projects in healthy rural environments.  FDR established the CCC by executive order on April 5, 1933. Within three months of its creation, the Corps had enlisted nearly 250,000 young men. They were assigned to CCC camps around the nation.

During its nine-year existence, the CCC employed nearly three million young men (a much smaller New Deal program existed for unemployed young women).  It planted over two billion trees, fought forest fires, built trails, campgrounds, and reservoirs, and aided with soil conservation programs. The CCC became one of the New Deal’s most popular and successful programs. Its legacy remains today in facilities it constructed throughout America’s national forests and parks.

This sterling silver and enamel ring was designed for and sold to members of the Civilian Conservation Corps.  The rings were advertised for sale in “Happy Days,” the CCC’s national newspaper. This ring was purchased by a member of CCC Company #1236 in Clarkson, Idaho.